2019 RALLY - The Grampians - VIC
Friday 29th to Sunday 31st March 2019
A fun weekend of scootering in Victoria's Grampians - Rally Base in Halls Gap
The draft plan so far:
The Rally Headquarters are based at the Halls Gap Caravan Park in the "centre" of Halls Gap.
You will easily spot us towards the North Gate of the Camp with 3x3 Marquees and Flags.
We will make sure that during the daytime there is always someone at the HQ to welcome you and hand you the Rally Pack and information, even if you arrive whilst others are on a ride.
Parking for those who do not stay as guests at the Caravan Park is provided in eyesight of the gate. The public car park close to the gate will also be Start and Finishing point for group rides.
Our main suggestion for accommodation is Halls Gap Caravan Park , which is also our Rally Headquarters.
The management has granted our group a 10% discount on all bookings. They offer a range of cabins as well as camp sites.
We will get booked all in the same area, close to camp kitchen to make it easy to be social.
Please book directly with them and mention you are with the National Scooter Rally. (http://hallsgapcaravanpark.com.au/)
For riders who do not come in a group and seek budget accommodation, please contact Goetz directly (email@example.com)
We have booked a couple of budget cabins, each with a separate queen- and 4 bunk beds which we can allocate. These beds will cost $28 per person per night. We will book more of these cabins, if there is more demand.
If you seek alternative accommodation, we recommend a online booking service like www.trivago.com.au
Where to eat:
Group dinner on Saturday evening is included in the Rally Pack; it will be informal and does cater for Vegetarians (please note in enrolment form).
Thanx to our corporate sponsors (Lambretta Australia and KYMCO Australia) we can offer free breakfast at HQ on Saturday- and Sunday morning. Please do not expect fancy bagels lox or eggs Florentine... it will be a simple breakfast cooked by volunteers of the team.
We work on getting a coffee cart up to Halls Gap - will keep you posted on that.
For lunches, elevenses and other cravings: we will include a guide of local eateries in the Rally Pack
We have to mention the SUPER YUMMY pies at Halls Gap bakery!
Expect Rally pack to cost $50
It will include:
- the usual patch/sticker,
- maps, programme and instructions
- Saturday dinner & welcome at Brambuk Cultural Centre
- Saturday & Sunday breakfasts at Rally HQ (thanx to our corporate sponsors)
- afternoon: "Grampians Extreme" Loop ride
This ride is only 80km (full tank please) but leads to the most breath-taking view points and roads of the northern Grampians. It is as good as it gets without leaving tarmac sealed roads. Twisty roads and steep inclines are part of the menu - recommended for confident riders. This is a fully guided group ride with corner markers and re-grouping points.
- evening: social meet at HQ, there are gas BBQ & camp kitchen for a impromptu feed for those who are interested
- morning: breakfast @ HQ
- daytime: leaving Halls Gap 9.30am for a big group ride
- first stop at the Giant Koala / Dadswells Bridge to regroup, then offering two options
1. The Mountain Ride (approx. 110km from base to finish), maps and details will be provided with Rally Pack
- heads west through the mountains via Rose Gap Road and winds back via Mt Victory Rd.
- short in kilometre distance but very twisty roads and lots of sightseeing opportunities on the way
- the ride will be done "Gipsy Style" to accommodate different engine capacities and riding skill levels
(all details like maps, instructions and meeting points etc will be provided in the Rally Pack)
- we will offer a mentor/matching service:
having experienced volunteers to lead groups of not so experienced riders to master the ride with confidence
- photo opportunities and places of interest will be explained ahead and marked on maps.
- no group lunch destination is planned on this route, given the number of participants and differences in riding times.
We will give information on lunch stop options in the Rally Pack and will advise these places for possible influx of customers.
- Main petrol station is in Halls Gap. Starting the 110km ride with a full tank is expected. There is a small petrol station on the west side of the mountains for emergency top ups - it will be marked on the maps.
- only sealed roads are chosen for this ride.
2. Into the Wimmera (to be confirmed)
The Vespa Club of Melbourne has offered to organise an alternative ride into the Wimmera, away from the mountains.
This would be ideal for those riders with less experience in twisty and steep roads - leading into more open area with also beautiful sights to see. A visit to the Murtoa Stack shed, Art Silos and a group lunch are on the list for this ride.
We would separate at the Giant Koala - and meet again at 5pm at the Cultural Centre in Halls Gap.
This ride is not yet confirmed, but we are confident that we get all the details in line to be able to delegate this ride to the VCM and give you a great alternative for the day.
5pm -we will be welcome as a group to Brambuk Cultural Centre
the centre will stay open exclusively for us
we will and have the opportunity to watch a video show about the local history and culture
6pm - early dinner (included in Rally Pack) - informal BBQ and buffet style (with bush tucker samples)
7.30pm - welcome by the team and price giving for ride-related trophies and prices
We will finish the official part at approx. 8pm, giving all participants the opportunity to choose their preferred evening entertainment.
The organisers will head back to HQ for informal get-together around the camp fire.
-morning: breakfast @ HQ
- after breakfast: show & shine, location TBA
- 10.30am prize giving for show & shine
- for those who stay till Monday:
- we might plan another afternoon ride
- evening BBQ together
- "left overs" breakfast @ HQ
we would like to thank our corporate event sponsors:
Lambretta Club of Australia
and also to those who have offered sponsoring of trophies and prizes:
Vespa Club of Australia
Vespa Club of Melbourne
More details to follow - It will be a while till we get enrollment options sorted, at this stage simply use the function on this page to show your interest. We can create invite packages for clubs, sending forms, maps and info to the area ahead - please message Goetz if you like to receive multiple forms to pass on in a club (firstname.lastname@example.org).